Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Last night...

Mikaela asked me what a condom was!!! Ahhh, middle school! It's actually a pretty funny story. I have to say that while it caught me off guard, I was secretly happy she came to me. I'm glad she feels comfortable enough asking and she knew a little about what it was so she totally knew what she was getting into when she asked. It's not like she thought it was a computer program or anything else. She knew it had to do with...well, you know. And now, she knows exactly what it is and probably knows more than the kids who mentioned it in the first place. It's funny how kids only know bits and pieces of these things. None of them can explain it to the other in details, so the message is for kids to go ask their parents! And parents, please explain this stuff to your children. I have a friend with two boys and she told me about one of her son's friends who got caught shoplifting condoms. He was doing it because he was curious and wanted to see what they were. So, I made sure to tell her if she ever wanted to see one, I would show her. She's not interested right now. Phew! And, since we are on the subject, I will put in my two cents about my sex ed research. I found a book I really liked and used it with Mikaela. It's called "How to Talk to Your Child About Sex." Within that book, they recommended the children's book "Where Did I Come From?" I have since heard of another that I would like to read but haven't done so yet. It's called "What's Love Got to do With It?" The idea is that this is ongoing conversation and not just "the talk" but I have not been good about that. So, this was a chance to remind her of some of the things we talked about. What are your thoughts, advice and experiences on this subject? I would love to know what has or has not worked for any of you.




10 comments:

Keli said...

Oh.My.Gosh.
I am so dreading this moment. Although part of me is a little anxious, there is a small part of me that is excited about it too. I mean, I get to be the one who is that cool mom that can talk to her kids about sex and not get all preachy and nervous and embarrassed.

But I'm glad it was you first. And I'm glad my sister has to do it before me.

Hillary said...

That is great that she came to you. You have been my best advisor on this subject. I read How to talk to your kids about sex and we had the talk with Emily last year. I was worried she was not going to talk to me ever again about anything, but it was like the book said. It has made her more willing to talk about other stuff. giving me chances to talk about it more with her.

The only awkward moment I have had was when Emily had a sleepover for her birthday and even though I had made a guest list with her and told her girls only, when she was at her friend Tims house she invited him. He came but left at 10:00pm but the whole party he was asking me why he could not sleep over. I had already explained it to Emily before the party and she understood. I was just worried that she was going to start spwewing out information. But she remembered the part about what to do if your friends ask you questions and she let me stick with the "you need to ask your parents" line

Jill Johnson said...

I hate those talks. I am glad to have a boy. I only have to worry about one penis you have to worry about a whole bunch! For now anyway!

Larissa said...

Jill, I am laughing so hard right now. I have tears in my eyes! Thanks for your comments everyone.

Eric said...

D-Rock and Cham told me everything I ever wanted to know about sex. D-Rock also has some useful diagrams and photos. From what I've pieced together it is messy.

D-Rock said...

hey eric, I am sure you have found out by now bit i was totally off on some of the things I taught you. Especially ignore the part about the dijon mustard and dental floss.

I meant to tell you earlier.

I blame Cham!

Chamberlee said...

I love this post, it is hilarious! Wow! D-rock and Spew not sure if I should be embarassed or proud?

Summer said...

D-Rock.....every day I try to get people to use dental floss more, but NOT like that. Tsk. Tsk.

Kelli said...

I am so not ready for that! Would it be easier with girls or boys?

Larissa said...

I think as a girl it was easier with a girl. I haven't done the boys yet. But, Hudson is asking questions. It's time for us to have our talk! Ugh! I will let you all know!