Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm supposed to be the teacher, but yesterday I was the student!

I had to do the sharing time lesson for Primary yesterday. The theme for the week was "I lived with Heavenly Father before I came to earth." I started the lesson by reviewing the plan of salvation. Then, of course focused on our premortal life. It was a great reminder for me. I loved reviewing what we know about our premortal life and that we need to obey our Father in Heaven because of faith and not because of our memory or knowledge of Him. Preparing for this lesson really helped me focus on my mortal life. This part of our existence is a time to learn to prove ourselves, choose to come unto Christ, and prepare to be worthy of eternal life. It is also a time when we can help others find the truth and gain a testimony of the plan of salvation. It also reminded me to read my patriarchal blessing again. It was so refreshing and uplifting to read the blessings and guidance that has been set out for me in my life. I taught the children that we can't remember our premortal life because a veil covered our memories and we forgot our heavenly home. But, that we will know our Father in Heaven and will remember how well we knew Him. How exciting it will be to return to Him someday. I went over the words to the song we are learning this month called "I Lived in Heaven" and I really loved the last two verses of the song:

"Giving us hope of a wonderful life yet to be -
Home in that heaven where Father is waiting for me."

We also talked about the responsibilities we were given in the premortal life as well as the responsibilities that people in the scriptures were given to help accomplish Heavenly Father's work. After this lesson, I felt that I was actually prepared to deal with the trials that I have been asked to deal with. (Even though I constantly complain and cry about not being able to handle them!) I love this quote from Brigham Young:


"Every calamity that can come upon mortal beings will be suffered to come upon the few, to prepare them to enjoy the presence of the Lord. Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation."


I realize that everyone has trials and problems that they have to deal with. And, to each person, their individual trials also seem unbearable! I also remembered a quote I heard in college that I always try to remember, but forget to follow. I don't know where it came from, but I like it.


"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.”

So, there you have it. I know what I need to do and now I just need to do it! Stop wallowing about my life and stop comparing myself to others. Deal with life as it is and rise above every experience that I am called to suffer!

Me thinkest that is easier said than done!

No comments: