Sunday, April 27, 2008

Forgiveness

Today in sacrament meeting I heard a talk on forgiveness and the "young" girl used personal experiences in her talk. Now, granted the talk had many great points to it, but both of her personal experiences had to do with when she was in high school and her sister always borrowed her clothes without asking (whose doesn't?) and when she couldn't buy her 2 year old M & M's from the store and had to take them away from him so that he cried and cried forever and ever! Now, I remember being "young" but are everyone's problems this minute? Or, is she the exception? I keep teaching my kids that they are not alone in their struggles and that EVERYONE has problems but, COME ON! Give me something I can work with here! How do you explain this to little children that suffer when there are twenty somethings out there that can't think of a single trial worth talking about?

Ok. It was actually a very nice reminder that we all need to forgive. So, here are a couple of nice little quotes about trials. This is from the Ensign, 1977 Delbert Stapley says: "Sometimes in the eternities to come, we will see that our trials were calculated to cause us to turn to our Heavenly Father for strength and support. Any affliction or suffering we are called upon to bear may be directed to give us experience, refinement, and perfection."

Here's another one from Brigham Young. "Every calamity that can come upon mortal beings will be suffered to come upon the few, to prepare them to enjoy the presence of the Lord. Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation."

So, "young" speaker girl, I forgive you...for not having any real trials in your life and then rubbing it in my face.

In case you can't tell...I am in a bad mood!

5 comments:

Keli said...

Man, I wish I knew who you were talking about. I think I know, but if I knew for sure, it would make this so much better.

But good quotes on the trials. So true, so true. If we could just see the end result at the beginning, it sure would help, huh?

Hang in there.

Larissa said...

It wasn't in "our" ward. I was visiting another ward. But, now I am wondering who you thought it was. Ohhhh, this is gettin' good. Just kidding.

Jill Johnson said...

I hate those young "I have no trials" people. A lady in our ward made a comment in Relief Society once about her life being perfect. She just couldn't figure out why the Lord didn't send her any trials!! Are you kidding? The woman had been caught cheating red handed by her now x-husband, and married the guy she was having an affair with. WAKO!!!!

Larissa said...

There are a lot of crazies out there. Sometimes people have a hard time seeing their own faults.

How is your baby doing Jill? Is she home from the hospital? How are you doing? This has been a bad year for pneumonia. People have had a hard time getting over it. I hope she gets feeling better soon.

Nunn said...

My favorite quote is "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger" I don't have any idea who said it but I think about it every day. Sometimes we just need to take it a day at a time. And I probably needed to hear the talk on forgiveness. I'm having a hard time with a couple of people in our ward. But that's my problem, not theirs..
Hang in there. We all love you.