Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley


I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition on Sunday which is already a little sad mixed with a goofy happiness. The local news breaks in around 7:20 pm and informs us of President Hinckley's passing. My sister and I start texting everyone. And, everyone starts texting us. Crazy technical world.

Pres. Hinckley's passing is so sad for all of us. We knew this day would come, but always hoped we would get just one more conference. I looked forward to and loved hearing him speak. Fortunately, we had a regional stake conference last summer during which he spoke. It seemed as if he was always speaking directly to me and during that particular conference, he did speak to me. He is an amazing person and did so many wonderful things. He is the only prophet my children have known. Although there have been 5 prophets during my existence on this earth, Pres. Hinckley is the one I remember the most. Here are some of my memories and his accomplishments:

  • He brought about the concept of mini-temples. What a brilliant idea. I have only had the opportunity to be in two of the mini-temples. They're great.

  • He instituted the "perpetual education fund." What a great way to help members in other countries and in turn help those countries.

  • He had a great sense of humor. He proved you can have humor without being crass or inappropriate ever.

  • He was sweet and endearing to his wife and honored all women. He always spoke of honoring women.

  • He was a very positive person and always reminded us to be happy and enjoy life.

  • He has done many television interviews and national press publications. He was always educating others about our religion. He always had the perfect thing to say to any interview questions. He most definitely was inspired.

His daughter spoke to our Relief Society and I felt like I knew him better after hearing her. He was just a great person. She spoke so highly of both he and his wife. They were great examples to all of us. They were very normal people with regular problems and yet good people.

One of my favorite quotes from Pres. Hinckley:

"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life's to be enjoyed, not just endured."

I also loved the phrase his father told him when he was leaving on his mission (I believe that was when he told it to him!) It was: "Be not afraid, only believe"
I was watching a "Faith for all Season" which was televised during Pres. Hinckley's funeral and in that show, he tells of an experience while he was on his mission. He writes home to his father and tells him that he is very discouraged and doesn't feel like he is doing a good job out in the mission field. He feels like he is wasting his time, the Lord's time and his dad's money. His dad writes back to him and says "Forget yourself, and go to work." His dad sounds like a very wise man. I guess he would have to be to prepare a son to be the prophet.

There is a funny story with this picture. A few years ago, I was visiting a friend and asked her where she got that picture of President Hinckley. She told me but explained that when she first saw it at her friend's house, she thought to herself "oh, what a cute grandpa!" Then she realized it was Pres. Hinckley. I have since seen the picture in many homes all over. There was a story about the picture on KSL. Here is the link if you want to read it: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=288&sid=2596141

No comments: