Saturday, December 5, 2009

Photography

Those that know me, know that I love photography. I always have. My uncle gave me my first camera when I was 8 years old. As I was growing up, I would always have a camera with me. I took photography in high school and learned to develop and print my own film. Little did I know that I wouldn't ever need those mad skillz because of the digital age. Anyway, I never pursued that hobby, despite my love for photography. But, I love wasting time on the internets looking at photography. Because of this, I stumbled upon a photographer that is professional, classic and timeless. Her name is Nichole Hill Gerulat and I love her blog and her work and even decided to take a class from her last month. It was a crash course which was all day long and totally fun but, not nearly enough time and too much information for my tiny brain to handle. So, I hope to take more of her classes when they go online or when she comes to Utah again. What I learned most from her is that I need to step back and take a look at what I'm photographing and decide the story I'm trying to tell. Is it true? Is it true to who I am and what I want to represent? Is it timeless? She gave me a lot of food for thought. So, even though I like a lot of the trendy stuff that is being done nowadays, I really need to find what defines me and be true to who I am and make sure it's not just a passing fad.

Whatever the hell that means!!!!

Just kidding :)

*Pic of me with my first camera (circa 1979-ish)

2 comments:

Allred Family said...

That class sounds like so much fun! Where was I in high school - I didn't know that you were in photography! I soooo wish I had done that in high school! Keep me up on things Larissa!!

Hillary said...

I love your old camera, it looks like a really great one for it's time.

Photography is so fun. I love looking at professionals pictures too and I am always amazed at the fun things they come up with. I don't know if I would ever be creative enough to go beyond snapshot level, but I have alwyas thouth it would be fun to take a class.