Saturday, December 29, 2007

Stuck in an elevator!!! Plan on 40 minutes!!!

Okay, how many of you have ever been stuck in an elevator? It really doesn't happen that often. I ran an errand downtown and on my way out, I get back on the elevator. I notice a man and a lady with coats on, but they look like they aren't ready to get on the elevator so I let the door close. I notice that it has a strong smell of cigarette smoke. I figure some chain smoker had just ridden it. I sit there for a bit (like seconds really) and then I hear a ding and the elevator opens to the same floor and the man and the lady with the coats get on with me. She says "didn't you push any buttons?" I say half embarassed "no...I hardly slept last night so I am just in la la land." So, we both push our buttons and it goes from our floor (4th) down to 3rd then to 2nd and everything goes black. Emergency lighting goes on and the elevator has definitely stopped! I say to both of them, "does this happen very often?" She says "it has never happened to me." So, I look at the number and remember that it is only the 2nd floor and try not to panic. They start calling everyone to try and get a repair man out there. I just keep saying let's use the call button but they ignore me. After all the calls are made, we just stand there. I decide to make small talk with these people so I don't panic. Come to find out that one is an attorney and one is a secretary. I bring up my old boss who he knows (she has quite a reputation!) We chat about all kinds of things. It's rather boring but he's a lawyer so there ya go. It started getting hot in there so we took off our coats. We sit down on the floor and get comfy. We joked about having some Christmas gifts to eat and drink so we are okay that way. We end up there for 40 minutes and then they pry open the doors and ask if we would like to get out? The elevator is actually stuck between the floors so they have to lift us out of it.
The really interesting part about the entire thing is that about a week and a half prior to this incident, Suzanne calls me and tells me she is stuck in an elevator alone! I can tell she is going to panic so I have to talk to her and keep her mind off it. She tells me how they had just watched a show on tv about elevator deaths. You can survive the 5th floor and down but nothing more. She is stuck on the 9th floor! She tells me to tell everyone she loves them. I have to keep her totally calm. I even make her call the service button again to find out an ETA. I try to tell her that at least she is not having a baby in there or having heart surgery or stuck with a stinky person. She agrees but I don't think it helps. After all is said and done, they get her out of there after 40 minutes. So, I am figuring that it takes 40 minutes to get a service team out to your location to do an emergency open of an elevator. Keep that in mind, you never know when you might need that information!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stuck in the elevator? Don't ever let this happen to you. It is super scary, but if you do find yourself in this predicament and the elevator starts to crash to the bottom, you are supposed to lay down on the floor (this spreads the impact accross your entire body sure area. This info may save your life (it saved mine).